Saturday, February 21, 2009

Strange, but Great




Ok, so what if this movie is a little creepy and off the wall? Coraline is an amazing film! My friend Ash and I saw it last night at the beautiful and ghetto Carmike theatre. No, I'm being serious, I love that theatre for its run down look compared to the often visited Commonwealth 20! Hey, not to mention its cheaper!


What was really really supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was that we saw Coraline in 3-d! Trippy! The opening credits of the movie is an odd scene of a metal claw making a doll of Coraline. Right then and there we thought, "Oh gosh...what did we just pay for?". But then it got even more strange- Scottish dogs cheering on two old ladies singing, a retired circus man doing flips off a banister, and not to mention a door that leads to the world Coraline wishes for. What does she wish for? Her parents to be perfect. Turns out these "other parents" on the other side of the door are EVIL and DEMENTED! Gotta be careful what you wish for!


Then when this gorgeous film came to an end everyone in there said "WOW THAT WAS AWESOME!", including myself and Ash. Yes, it was the kookiest film I've possibly ever seen, but its depth in animation and creativity blew me away! If you're a fan of Nightmare Before Christmas, I highly recommend Coraline. Did I mention the cool 3-d glasses?

When we went there were people waiting outside the door who had just seen the earlier showing. I thought, "sheesh...is it that great?", but it is! So it's official, I'm in love with this movie. Next up- Slumdog Millionaire!!!

7 comments:

kristenlaser said...

i saw it this past thursday in 3-d, also. fantastic. my friend and i were the only two in there :) haha

Tim said...

I dunno about slumdog millionaire, but Coraline *IS* a great flick. I was a little disappointed when, after seeing it, I discovered that Tim Burton had absolutely nothing to do with it. I really like his films.

But, to my credit, I got tricked... in fact, there were quite a number of media outlets who were just as tricked as I was. The trick was that 'Nightmare Before Christmas' was actually directed by Henry Selick -- director of Coraline. Tim Burton was a major player in the production of the prior but not this one. Even so, it is a great film: dark and morose, yet deep and lighthearted... all in the same breath.

Good stuff. Glad you saw it! :)

Tim said...

PS - I have a new-found respect for buttons! Hehehe.

Ktea said...

hahaha, i love that movie! i didn't get to see it in 3-d but it was so good. and i saw slumdog millionaire today and that was also good! go see it!

Ktea said...

also, this is random, but did you know that coraline is entirely stop motion? sculpted out of clay figures posed over and over and over...it took like over 3 years i think for them to complete the film. check out the website for the movie, it's interesting!

Ashley said...

CORALINE WAS AMAZING!! i love you jensonator <3

Kevin Salyer said...

I like your words, J.

I'm a *big* Neil Gaiman fan, so I'm really looking forward to seeing Coraline. Just don't know when to find the time...

Looks like it will be an iTunes download for me. Sigh.