Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Educational"

Thursday. Is it thursday? Well, only an hour and 22 minutes left of it. The week has been different, a turning point.

Hopefully we will be snowed in tomorrow...our pantry is loaded with ramen and diet dr. pepper (my crack, in other words). I rented Dazed and Confused, Smiley Face (again), Woodstock, Year of the Dog, and Smart People from the Clover Hill Library as well as two books: East of Eden and Thank You for Smoking.

Going to the library today made me feel happy. It's quiet there, and on all of those shelves are thousands and thousands of pages that will only make my mind bigger and better. Getting into the swing of chain reading gives me something to focus on, something to think about, and something to keep me entertained.

When I'm in the middle of reading a good book, I sometimes will randomly remember a certain scene or description. For example, in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, I thought about how the main character always took pictures of each significant object or person in his presence, how he saw New York. In the story he is a nine year old child who lost his father on September 11th. I was also nine years old when the terrorist attacks occured, so how he percieves the evil reminds me of how I did. It didn't make sense, all it seemed to be was a pain that could not be healed. Thankfully I did not lose anyone on that day, but I can only imagine what it would've been like to have experienced such a loss.

So, yes, I am becoming a book nerd once again. It's crazy cool how animated your mind can be by just reading typed words created by someone else. I always wonder what the author pictured as he or she wrote, but perhaps thats the art of writing, you leave space for the reader to make their own world out of your piece.

Hoping that we don't have school tomorrow, so I can read. HAHA sounds a little strange, but it's the truth. I want to have a little alone time, a break from school once again, and just focus on growing my mind rather than melting it sitting in a chair, listening to a teacher try to fill up the time span of two hours with useless worksheets or horrible "educational" videos. Gosh, I want to learn, not to let my brain go to waste.

No comments: